Sunday, November 15, 2020

Why does God allow delay?

The Lord impressed upon my heart to share about dealing with delay, and why does God sometimes allow delay

As a matter of fact, nobody likes delay. We all wish that when we want something, we want it now! Just like when we wait for the bus, the train, or the plane! How many of you have experienced waiting for hours and hours for the plane to arrive?

Many things are being delayed in a time of pandemic this year. It's a rather disruptive year for many. For some, it is a delay in the area of your career path. For some others, in the area of your personal plans, or personal dreams (or visions). 

But you know what? Delay sometimes isn't a bad thing at all! 

So today, we are going to explore this topic: Why does God allow delay?

1. He is protecting you from certain harm or danger 

He knows your future better than anyone else on earth. He knows what is ahead more than you'll ever know. And because He loves you, He wants to ensure that you'll avoid a certain 'pitfall' in your life. He knows certain things that come too soon will 'crush' you (e.g. an honor or title that comes too soon). You may not be ready now, but God is working to ensure that you are ready when the right time comes!

Psalm 57:1 (Expanded Bible) says, 'Be merciful [gracious] to me, God; be merciful [gracious] to me because I come to You for protection [seek refuge]. Let me hide [be protected; seek refuge] under the shadow of Your wings until the trouble [destruction] has passed'.

Psalm 25:20 (Expanded Bible) says, 'Protect me and save [rescue; deliver] me. I trust [find refuge in] You, so do not let me be disgraced [shamed]'.

2. He is delaying His answer because of His timing 

His timing is always perfect. He is in full control of all things, at all times, and in all places. Delay can happen because it isn't His timing for you yet. He has a time and season for everything. Rest assured it doesn't mean He isn't answering you, or He is denying you or forsaking you, but He knows what's best for you and when's best for you!

Isaiah 55:8 (NKJV) says, '"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord'.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 (Expanded Bible) says, 'There is a time [season] for everything, and everything [every activity] on earth [under heaven] has its special season [time]'.

3. He is still in the midst of preparing you and growing you

A delay may be God's way to prepare you for bigger or greater things in the future. A delay may be God's way to grow your faith and character. A delay may be God's way to equip you to handle greater things in the future. A delay may be God's training for you to have a greater capacity for a time of expansion in the future. Your faith, character, and even understanding of how God works will grow more and more as you learn to trust Him in a time of delay.

James 1:2-3 (NKJV) says, 'My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience'.

1 Peter 1:13 (NCV) says, 'So prepare your minds for service and have self-control. All your hope should be for the gift of grace that will be yours when Jesus Christ is shown to you'.

2 Timothy 2:20-21 (NKJV) says, 'But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work'.

4. He is delaying His answer in order to give you a new purpose/direction 

When delay happens, He may be in the midst of re-directing you. His delay may be a way to tell you to seek Him afresh and anew. His delay may be a way to tell you that you need to seek His will. It may be a call for you to undo and re-do certain areas in your life. You may be focused on one direction, but He wants you to focus on another direction. Or you may be 'leaning your ladder' against the wrong wall, when He wants you to 'lean your ladder' against another wall.

Colossians 1:9 (NKJV) says, 'For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding...'

Job 37:12 (Amplified Bible) says, 'Its direction is turned around by His guidance, that it may do whatever He commands it on the face of the inhabited earth'.

Prayer in a time of delay or waiting:

"O Lord God, I thank You for Your love for me, and that You want the best for me. Help me in this time of delay or waiting, so that I can move according to Your perfect timing. Help me to be patient, not give up, and trust You even in times like these. Help me not to take matters in my own hands. I choose to trust You, and I choose to be faithful to You. Deepen my understanding of how You work. Give me a greater knowledge of what You are doing in my life. I thank You that You have the perfect wisdom for my life, and You know exactly what's best for me. I therefore yield to You and Your perfect timing for my life. In Jesus’ name. Amen."