Friday, August 2, 2019

Pure intention, pure heart, pure motive

Psalm 139:23-24 (NKJV): Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

The word 'search' here is 'chaqar' (pronounced 'khawkar') in Hebrew, and it can mean:
- to find me out; to search me out; to seek me out;
- to penetrate/examine my deepest intention/motive/desire.

The writer of this psalm, David was a man after God's heart, not after own glory or fame, and it showed. Indeed, for David to ask the Lord to 'chaqar' him shows his humility, sincerity, transparency, and yieldedness before the Lord. David realized that nothing is hidden from Him, and nothing can be hidden from Him. And if that is so, why even try to 'escape' from Him or 'hide anything' from Him?

In Psalm 139:7-12, David wrote it aptly, 'Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there Your hand shall lead me, and Your right hand shall uphold me. If I say, "Surely the darkness shall fall on me," even the night shall be light about me; Indeed the darkness shall not hide from You, but the night shines as the day; the darkness and the light are both alike to You'.

All in all, this psalm (Psalm 139) describes the Lord God's perfect knowledge of each of us, inside-out and outside-in. In Psalm 139:1-4, David wrote, 'O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up. You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, but behold, O Lord, You know it altogether'.

And then in Psalm 139:13-16, David wrote further, 'For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought (caused it to happen)... Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them'.

Beloved of God, as you prepare yourself for a time of greater works of the Lord in your life, this is the time to ask the Lord to 'find you out' and 'search you out', and let Him show you if there's any area (in your life) that has been 'polluted' by the world. How about some hidden intentions or motives in your life that you know the Lord isn't too happy with?

The Lord spoke these words recently:
"I am purifying! Let Me do the work of purifying! I am cleansing! Let Me do the work of cleansing! For I am purifying and cleansing even the hidden intentions and motives of My people, so that they will begin to walk like David walked!"

The Lord then spoke further:
"There is power to break every yoke! Let Me clear the hidden intentions and motives of My people, and let Me clear the conscience of My people, so that they will begin to see My promises for them happening and coming to pass!"

Indeed, nothing in this world can take the place of a clear conscience and a pure heart. Jesus Himself said in Matthew 5:8, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." The word 'pure' here in Greek is 'katharos', meaning 'clean, clear'; whereas the word 'see' here in Greek is 'optanomai', and it can mean 'to gaze (with wide-open eyes, at something remarkable), to watch in awe (right before one's eyes)'. In other words, for those whose hearts are clean and clear before the Lord, they are blessed, because they shall see God's glory and God's great works manifesting so real right before their eyes!

Our Abba Father in heaven wants the very best for each of us, simply because He loves us. David knew this very well, and he gave Him the full right to 'search him out', and to examine his every hidden intention, motive, and even desire in his life. No wonder the Lord calls him 'a man after His heart' (1 Samuel 13:14, Acts 13:22), and no wonder His will can be fully done in his life. Let it be so for you too, because like David, you too are God's beloved. Amen!