Saturday, January 5, 2019

Begin the year with LOVE!

As I was seeking the Lord for my first sermon in the year 2019, He simply said these words: "Begin the year with LOVE!"

He then gave an assurance through Psalm 71 (a psalm written by David, the beloved of God) for all of us to meditate upon. 

Psalm 71:1-3 (NKJV) says, 'In You, O Lord, I put my trust; Let me never be put to shame. Deliver me in Your righteousness, and cause me to escape; Incline Your ear to me, and save me. Be my strong refuge, to which I may resort continually; You have given the commandment to save me, for You are my rock and my fortress'. 

I believe this commandment the Lord has given us is first and foremost the commandment of LOVE. You can see that in Deuteronomy 6:5-6 that says, 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts'. See the words 'are to be on your hearts' here? People of God, let His love so fill you, and be established in you, as you begin your journey in this year 2019!

Psalm 71:21-24a (NKJV) says, 'You shall increase my greatness, and comfort me on every side.
Also with the lute (string instrument) I will praise You— And Your faithfulness, O my God! To You I will sing with the harp, O Holy One of Israel. My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing to You; And my soul, which You have redeemed. My tongue also shall talk of Your righteousness all the day long...'

The word 'talk' here is 'hagah' in Hebrew, and it can mean 'to utter, to speak, to declare, to meditate'. Interestingly, this word 'hagah' is the same word as in Joshua 1:8 that says 'This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate ('hagah') in it day and night...'

Here's a compilation of some Bible verses on God's love for you to meditate ('hagah') upon in the year 2019. So, by all means, utter it, speak it, and declare it to yourself, so your ears will also hear! As you can see here, to meditate ('hagah') is not merely to read it silently, but as shown above, it is for you to utter it, speak it, and declare it with your mouth; and of course, into being! 

Bible verses on God's love (personalized for you)

1. I love God's name. God looks upon me and is merciful to me, and He will direct my steps with His Word (Psalm 119:132-133)

2. I am precious in God's sight and He loves me and honors me (Isaiah 43:4)

3. Nothing in this world can separate me from the love of God (Romans 8:35)

4. In all things, I am made more than conquerors through God who loves me (Romans 8:37)

5. I have the love of God, and God's love for me never fails (1 Corinthians 13:8)

6. My Lord Jesus Christ and God my Father, who has loved me and given me everlasting consolation and good hope, comforts my heart and establishes me in every good word and work (2 Thessalonians 2:16-17)

7. I love Jesus and rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory (1 Peter 1:8)

8. I have no fear in love, because perfect love casts out fear. I love Him because He first loved me (1 John 4:18-19)

9. God is love. I am born of God and I belong to God. I receive the love of God now and I can love one another (1 John 4:7-8)

10. God abides in me and His love has been established in me (1 John 4:12)

11. The life which I now live, I live by faith in the Son of God who loves me and gave Himself for me (Galatians 2:20)

12. I have hope, and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in my heart by the Holy Spirit who was given to me (Romans 5:5)