Sunday, May 6, 2018

"I will lift up my eyes to the hills"

Psalm 121:1-2 (NKJV): I will lift up my eyes to the hills. From whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.

The word 'help' here is 'ezer' in Hebrew, from the word 'azar', meaning 'to surround, to protect, to aid us (against the enemy)'. This psalm was written by David, and many bible scholars believe it was written in a time of battle, when he crucially needed the Lord's help.

The 'hills' here refers to 'the hills in Jerusalem', specifically the hill in which God's temple was built, also known as Mount Moriah. It was here that the Lord provided Abraham a ram as burnt offering, instead of him having to sacrifice his own son Isaac! In Genesis 22:13-14, the Scripture says, 'Then Abraham lifted his eyes and looked, and there behind him was a ram caught in a thicket by its horns. So Abraham took the ram, and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son. And Abraham called the name of the place, The-Lord-Will-Provide'.

See the words 'lifted his eyes' here? Very interesting! Both David and Abraham lifted their eyes! Where to? For David, he lifted his eyes to Mount Moriah, where The-Lord-Will-Provide! For Abraham, he lifted his eyes and saw a ram caught in a thicket by its horns, a 'picture' of Jesus Christ Himself! A thicket plant, by the way, is a thorny plant, and the root word for 'thicket' in Hebrew is 'sawbak', literally meaning 'to entwine'. In John 19:2, the Scripture says, 'And the soldiers twisted a crown of thorns and put it on Jesus' head'! Indeed, Jesus wore the crown of thorns, so that you can now wear the crown of glory!

I heard and released these words from the Lord recently:
"I am the Lord your help, when you cry out to Me! Look not at your past mistakes or regrets, but look to Me! Look not at your surroundings, but look to Me! Look not at what's happening in your battlefield, but look to Me! For I am a God who hears and answers your cries. Look to My holy hills, from where comes your help, and watch how I will provide!"

People of God, whatever 'battle' you may be facing at the moment (be it in your health, in your finance, or in any other area of your life), look not at those past mistakes or regrets of yours (the 'I could have', 'I should have', or 'I would have'), and look not at all those troubles around you, but instead, lift up your eyes and look to Him - The Lord who is your Help and Provider! The Lord who crowns you with His glory!