Saturday, December 19, 2015

Receive the power to overcome!

John 16:33 (NKJV): These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

The word 'overcome' here is 'nikao' in Greek, meaning 'to subdue, to conquer, to prevail, or to get the victory', from the word 'nike' (pronounced 'nee-kay') which means 'conquest, victory'. Here in this verse, Jesus says that He has overcome the world. The word 'world' here is translated in Greek as 'kosmos' which means 'the patterns (or the ways) of this world'. 

If you look around you, you'd see that 'the patterns (or the ways) of this world' is full of tribulation. That's why Jesus says 'In the world ('kosmos') you will have tribulation'. And what does the word 'tribulation' mean here? It is the word 'thlipsis' in Greek, which can mean 'pressure, stress, anguish, burden, persecution, or trouble'. 

But the good news here is Jesus says in Him you may have peace. This word 'peace' is 'eirene' (pronounced 'i-ray-nay') in Greek, which means 'being at rest, having quietness, being at one (with God)', and as a matter of fact, the peace of God in you will always lead to prosperity (in your soul, in your health, and in every other area of your life).

As I was praying for someone recently, this word 'overcome' kept coming to mind, and later on, I decided to check this word in the Oxford Dictionary. Here's what I found out: 'to succeed in a struggle against (something), to defeat, to be victorious, to triumph, to find a way of dealing with or solving (a problem, etc)'. Indeed, Jesus is the solution to any tribulation in this world, simply because He is the way, the truth, and the life! (John 14:6) 

Therefore, people of God, whatever 'tribulation' you may be facing at the moment, I want to declare by faith that He has a way out for you! Let not your heart doubt, but believe and receive! To men, it may be impossible, but to God, all things are possible (Luke 18:27). Look to Him and receive the power to overcome! Like the light that overcomes the darkness, so will His light overcome every darkness that the 'enemy' throws at you!

I have received a number of testimonies recently on how God's people have overcome, and I would like to share some here:

"I joined youth fellowship since the age of 13, and was baptized in my early twenties. I have not been a victorious Christian until recently attending Triumph in Christ (TiC) listening and following your teaching. I am not glorifying you, but I have been greatly blessed. You are truly God-driven and you adhere to God's ways, and you have been conveying it effectively to the congregation. I thank God for sending you to us. Otherwise I would still be struggling in life and against the power of darkness. Praise God! I have finally conquered my fear..."

"I was representing my company in an exhibition the other day, and was unable to close any sales for our equipment. I sent my prayer request to you, and truly, not long after you have prayed, eight professors from different universities came and made inquiries about our company's equipment. Three confirmed buying. It was an arm's length transaction. By the way, no other booths in the exhibition had much traffic except ours on that day. Praise the Lord!" 

"I have been having spinal problems due to a cycling incident, and had to take medication and go for physiotherapy. Just one day after you prayed for me, I woke up in the morning to realize that the pain has gone and I am now totally healed! Your prayer of faith works! Thanks be to God!"

Beloved and friends, wherever you may be at the moment, and whatever situation you may be facing at the moment, know that His grace (His supply, His ability) is enough in your time of need (Hebrews 4:16).

When the light comes, the darkness has no choice but to flee. Jesus is the light that shines (1 John 1:5), and I pray likewise that this light shines right into your situation (name the situation..............) and causes every 'darkness' to flee as well. I pray this by faith (Mark 11:22-24, James 1:5-6, James 5:13-15), in Jesus' mighty name. Amen.