Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fill your thoughts with the Word of God!

2 Corinthians 10:4 (NKJV): For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal (earthly way) but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds.

The word 'weapons' here is 'hoplon' in Greek (from the word 'hepo'), meaning 'tool, armor, instrument that is offensive for war'. Notice the word 'offensive' here? By the way, what is the 'offensive' part of the whole armor of God in Ephesians 6:10-17? The swordEphesians 6:17 says, 'And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God'.

Hence, the weapons mentioned in 2 Corinthians 10:4 speak of none other than the Word of God! And of course, unless we start wielding this 'sword', it will forever be lying idle on the ground (or rather, in the bookshelf!).

2 Corinthians 10:5 then completes 2 Corinthians 10:4. It says, 'Casting down arguments (in KJV, 'imaginations') and every high thing (i.e. earthly thing/matter/concern) that exalts itself against the knowledge of God (includes God's plan and destiny for your life), bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ'. See the word 'thought' here?

Recently, the Lord said, "This is a year of glory, but how deep you want Me to bring you into My glory depends on what you allow to nestle on your head!" He then said further, "What you allow to nestle on your head (i.e. your thought/mind) will then become a stronghold, whether good or bad." These words then immediately reminded me of Colossians 3:2 that says, 'Set your mind on things above (Him and His things), not on things on the earth (carnal/earthly things)'.

People of God, you are now in a time when the Lord is bringing His people deeper (than ever before) into His glory. However, how deep His people can go depends on what His people allow to nestle on their heads!
Note: 'To nestle' means 'to settle comfortably, or warmly, as in a bird's nest'.

So, what is nestling on your head now? Is it the Word of God, or is it something else? Or rather, what do you fill your thoughts with most of the time?

For some, it may be lustful thoughts. For others, it may be someone whom they keep thinking about day and night (more than they think about God). For many others, it may be a continuous negative, anxious thought. There are also some who keep thinking that people are gossiping/talking behind their back all the time! If not overcome and dealt with, each of these problems may then become an obsession in one's life. In other words, they become a 'slave' to whatever they keep thinking about!

The fact here is if you keep thinking about a problem (or an earthly concern/matter/person/situation), that problem (or an earthly concern/matter/person/situation) will inevitably 'expand' and dominate your life. By the same token, if you keep thinking about the Word of God, the Word of God will in turn 'expand' and dominate your life! That's how things work in one's thought life!

But the good news is you already have the weapons to pull those unwanted 'strongholds' down!

2 Corinthians 10:4 says that your 'weapons' to overcome and have victory in your thought life does not come from any earthly (carnal) way or method, but by the Word of God, which is mighty for pulling down strongholds!

Now, what does God say about the Word of God here?

Hebrews 4:12 says, 'For the Word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart'. The word 'discern' here is 'kritikos' in Greek (from the word 'krino'), which means 'verdict, determine, decide'. It means the Word of God is the key to determining your thought life, and therefore changing your thought life!

That's the importance of the Word of God, and that's also why the apostle Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 3:18, 'But we all, with unveiled face, beholding (looking to) as in a mirror the glory of the Lord (i.e. Jesus, who is also the Word of God), are being transformed into the same image (i.e. the Word of God) from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord'.
Note: What you keep beholding or thinking about most of the time will eventually become you. So, if you keep beholding, thinking, and saying what God says (i.e. the Word of God), you'll have what the Word of God says!

The answer to 'pulling down whatever stronghold that is nestling on your head' (i.e 'whatever stronghold that is hindering you from going deeper into His glory') therefore lies in meditating the Word of God.
Note: Meditating the Word of God does involve the use of your mouth as an instrument to mutter or speak His Word out aloud (over and over again). It's when your mouth speaks that your ear hears! Romans 10:17 says, 'So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God'.

Here are some of the Word of God personalized and compiled for you to meditate today:

1. I set my mind on the things above and not on the things on this earth. I set my mind on the things of God (Colossians 3:2)

2. God keeps me in perfect peace because my mind is stayed on Him and I trust Him (Isaiah 26:3)

3. I live according to the Spirit and mind the things of the Spirit. I am spiritually-minded and have life and peace (Romans 8:5-6)

4. My desire is only for the Lord and it is a tree of life (Proverbs 13:12)

5. I fear the Lord and I am a fountain of life (Proverbs 14:27)

6. I fear the Lord and I prolong my days (Proverbs 10:27)

7. God sends His Word and heals me and He delivers me from destruction (Psalm 107:20)

8. I hear God's Word and receive them and the years of my life are many. I take firm hold of God's Word and will not let it go. I keep them, for they are my life (Proverbs 4:10, Proverbs 4:13)

9. I am now the righteousness of God through Christ. I walk the way of righteousness and I have life. In my pathway there is no death (2 Corinthians 5:21, Proverbs 12:28)

10. My tongue promotes health (Proverbs 12:18)

11. All the works of the devil upon my body and soul are destroyed, and I now have perfect health in Christ Jesus (1 John 3:8, Acts 10:38)

12. Jesus Himself took my infirmities and bore my sicknesses on the cross, and I am now healthy and have no sicknesses or bodily infirmities. The chastisement for my peace was upon Him and by His stripes I am healed (Matthew 8:17, Isaiah 53:5)