Monday, January 14, 2013

In the Father's love and embrace

Luke 15:20 (NKJV): And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck (i.e. embraced him) and kissed him.

This verse speaks of the father's love for his son who had totally rejected him and 'walked out on him', but yet when this very same son came back to his senses, the father was more than willing to accept him back gladly.

The above illustration also speaks of our Abba Father's love for all of us today. He is a God who'll never 'walk out on us'. And if there's anyone who's ever going to 'walk out', it's never Him, as depicted in this 'parable of the lost son' (see Luke 15:11-32). He is a God who'll never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5).

Not long ago, someone whom I was ministering to said this: "Pastor, I feel like God has walked out on me!" Prior to that, he's had a rather trying time, especially in the area of his health, and he had been wondering if God has forsaken him. However, I also know him enough to be convinced that he still believed in God, and that's what mattered the most. So, I answered him, "No, He loves you too much for Him to ever do that! He is still in you and with you." He was never the same person since that day, not just in health, but in every other area of his life. Praise God!

So, how much exactly does God love you? 

He loves you so much He was willing to give (away) His one and only begotten Son to die for you (John 3:16). Here's an illustration to John 3:16 based on a touching, but true story I heard of: There's once a father who was clinging on to his capsized boat in the midst of a storm, and with only one float within his reach, he had to choose between his own son and his son's friend who were both crying out for help. The father then longingly looked at his own son with tears flowing down his cheek, and said, "Son, you know I love you very much", but threw the float to his son's friend. His son was never to be seen again, while the son's friend was eventually saved. Did it break the father's heart to see his own son drown and disappear from his very sight? I'm sure. Well, it broke the Father's heart too to see His one and only begotten Son dying at the cross! But He was willing because He loves you so.

Beloved of God, today, for this very same reason and because you are precious in His eyes, your Abba Father also wants you to know that He'll never hide His face from you. In fact, Numbers 6:25 even says 'He makes His face shine on you'. This verse then ends with 'And He is gracious to you'. Like in the 'parable of the lost son', even when you think you are 'a great way off', know that His eyes are still longing for you (waiting for you), and He also has great compassion for you.

Psalm 91:1-2 tells us exactly how it is like being in the Father's loving arms. It says, 'He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High (El Elyon) shall abide under the shadow (i.e. in the loving arms) of the Almighty (El Shaddai). I will say of Him (Abba Father), "He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, in Him I will trust."' In other words, when you are in the loving arms of your Abba Father, He'll also be your El Shaddai, a God who meets more than enough (all-sufficient) for you.

There's also protection and security when you are in His loving arms and embrace. I remember once my daughter Sophia (nine years old then) was at home by herself when suddenly there was an unusually strong wind and heavy rain. At that time, my wife and I were outside briefly for a ministry work, a short distance away. Sophia then called me on the phone and said, "Daddy, I'm scared. Can you come back now?" My heart melted upon hearing her soft, frightened voice, and I immediately left everything behind and drove back. The moment I saw her, I ran to her and gave her a big warm hug, saying, "Daddy's here. Everything's alright now."

Your Daddy (Abba) is also the same to you today. In fact, this word is the most intimate word one can call his/her Father. It is the deepest cry that comes out from a child, especially in times of need and danger. And He has great pleasure to run to you, love you, and embrace you whenever you call out to Him "Daddy!". You see, He is not a distant God the way the world portrays Him to be! The truth is He is always near you, and His arms are always opened wide for you. The Bible says He is your ever-present God (Psalm 46:1).

Romans 8:15-16 says, 'For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear (i.e. to see God as a distant, unapproachable, 'un-embrace-able' God), but you have received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba Father." The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God'.

Like Sophia to me (as her daddy here on earth), I also have this assurance that I'll always be likewise in my Daddy's eyes, and knowing for sure that He'll always love me and be here for me. I know you are too in His eyes. Men's love may fail sometimes, but His love (for you) never fails (1 Corinthians 13:8). So, no matter what may have happened in your past, I know it's never too late to let Him love you and embrace you again. As you receive His love and embrace today, know that He's also saying to you, "Daddy's here. Everything's alright now." Amen.