Sunday, April 29, 2012

Speak health & healing to yourself!

Romans 10:9-10 (NKJV): That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe with your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved (‘sozo’). For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth, confession is made unto salvation (‘soteria’).

If I personalize the above, it becomes like this:
I confess with my mouth the Lord Jesus Christ and believe in my heart that God has raised Him from the dead and I am saved. For with my heart I believe into righteousness and with my mouth confession is made to my salvation.

The word ‘saved’ here is ‘sozo’ in Greek, which means ‘to save (oneself), to deliver, to protect, to heal, to preserve, to make whole, to make well’, while the word ‘salvation’ is ‘soteria’ (from the word ‘sozo’), which means ‘rescue, safety, health, deliverance, salvation’.

Do you notice that the words ‘sozo’ and ‘soteria’ means more than just ‘saved’ and ‘salvation’? In fact, this same word ‘sozo’ is translated as ‘healed’ both in Mark 5:23 (“…Come and lay your hands on my daughter, that she may be ‘sozo’, and she will live.”) and Acts 14:9 (“Paul, observing him intently and seeing that he had the faith to be ‘sozo’, …). So, as you can see, the same word 'sozo' has been translated as ‘healed’ (in Mark 5:23 & Acts 14:9) and ‘saved’ (in Romans 10:9) in the Bible.

Now, as you replace the word ‘saved’/’salvation’ with ‘healed’/’healing’ in Romans 10:9-10 and personalize it for yourself, it becomes like this:
I confess with my mouth the Lord Jesus Christ and believe in my heart that God has raised Him from the dead and I am healed. For with my heart I believe into righteousness and with my mouth confession is made to my healing & health.

Romans 10:12-13 then says: “… for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be ‘sozo’, i.e. shall be saved, healed, delivered, protected, preserved, made whole, and made well! Hallelujah! He is rich to you not just in His saving grace, but also in His healing grace!

You see? Salvation and healing (divine health) go hand-in-hand. They go together. So, if you believe that you are saved, believe also that you are healed!

You may ask, “Where is the proof, pastor?”

Psalm 103:1-3 (NKJV) says: ‘Bless the Lord, o my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the Lord, o my soul, and forget not His benefits; who forgives all your iniquities, who heals all your diseases’. ‘Forgiveness’ here speaks of your ‘salvation’, and ‘healing’ here of course speaks of your ‘healing/health’! See how one leads to the other?

1 Peter 2:24 (NKJV) says: ‘… who Himself (Jesus) bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness (i.e. in right standing with God) – by whose stripes you were healed’. Again, notice that forgiveness of sins leads to healing to your body!

Notice now what happened during the Lord’s Passover, and here’s what the Lord said to Moses in Exodus 12:7-9 (NKJV): ‘And they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel of the houses where they eat it. Then they shall eat the flesh on that night; roasted with fire, with unleavened bread and with bitter herbs they shall eat it. Do not eat it raw, nor boiled at all with water, but roasted in fire – its head with its legs and its entrails’.

The above is a ‘picture’ of Jesus, your 'sin offering' and your ‘burnt offering’, who died for you on the cross.

In fact, this is also the ‘foreshadow’ of the practice of Holy Communion in the New Covenant, and every time you partake of the Holy Communion, you are also reminding yourself of this ‘blood’ and ‘lamb’! The ‘blood’ (represented by the ‘juice’ you partake) here speaks of ‘forgiveness of sins’, while the ‘lamb’ eaten by God’s people (represented by the ‘bread’ you partake) speaks of ‘health, healing, and strength’.

See? Forgiveness of sins and healing/health go hand-in-hand again! Not just that, because God’s people ate of the ‘flesh’ on that night of Passover, Psalm 105:37 also says ‘there was none feeble (weak) among His tribe’. Hallelujah! Today, you are also in His ‘tribe’, the Body of Christ!

Now, here's something powerful about speaking & declaring God's Word upon yourself. Proverbs 18:21 says, Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit. It means if you ‘love’ to speak ‘life’ unto your body (or into any situation you are currently facing now), you’ll have the fruit of it, i.e. ‘health & life’! However, the opposite is also true. That’s how powerful your words can be! Therefore, choose ‘life’, and not ‘death’. Speak ‘health & healing’ unto your body, or into any area of your life that needs healing/health right now! It can even be in your financial health or relational health (with your spouse, children, etc)! 

Here’s a list of health & healing verses (personalized) for you to meditate on & speak forth to yourself:

1     1. I confess with my mouth the Lord Jesus Christ and believe in my heart that God has raised Him from the dead and I am healed. For with my heart I believe into righteousness and with my mouth confession is made to my healing & health (Romans 10:9-10).

       2. I sow to the Spirit and reap of the Spirit. I sow words of health and healing every day and daily reap health and healing every day (Galatians 6:8-9).

       3. My light breaks forth like the morning. My healing springs forth speedily and my righteousness goes before me. The glory of the Lord is my rearguard (Isaiah 58:8).

       4. Jesus has borne my griefs and carried my sorrows. He was stricken, smitten and afflicted for me. He was wounded for my transgressions. He was bruised for my iniquities. The chastisement for my peace (well-being) was upon Him and by His stripes I am healed (Isaiah 53:4-5).

       5. It is the will of God that I should prosper and be in perfect health even as my soul prospers (3 John 2).

       6. The will of God is done on earth as it is done in heaven. There is no sickness in heaven; therefore I am not sick on earth. Jesus was never sick on earth. He is in me and His life flows in me. As He is, so am I in this world (Matthew 6:10, Galatians 2:20, 1 John 4:17).

       7. I am justified by my words. I have the faith of Jesus Christ in me, because Jesus is in me. I speak to the mountains of sicknesses and they obey my words and leave (Matthew 12:37, 2 Peter 1:4, Matthew 17:20).

       8. I have authority and power over all diseases and sicknesses. I command them to leave and they obey my words. I lay hands on the sick and they recover (Matthew 10:1, Mark 16:18).

So, start speaking healing/health to yourself! Say what God says about you, not what people say about you! Now, that’s what ‘confession’ in Romans 10:9-10 means - ‘homologeo’ in Greek, which means ‘say/speak the same, or say what God says’!

Receive also His forgiveness and then let it flow out to others as well (as you forgive & ‘let go’ those who have hurt you). Also, remind yourself of the richness of His saving & healing grace (Romans 10:12) by partaking Holy Communion often. And surely, you are well on your way to your wholeness, wellness, and healing. Amen!