Monday, July 12, 2010

Under covering

Psalm 91:4 (NKJV): He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge...

Psalm 91 is our key chapter here. Take time to read and meditate on the whole Psalm 91 today.

I had a dream the other day. In the dream, I was in my house with my family, and there was an 'attack’ of roaring waves from the sea. Another 'attack' was 'canon balls' being shot by the 'enemy' towards us. Then & there, we were scrambling for safety, and somehow, nothing happened to us, though our house was damaged quite a little. Then, I saw my father-in-law (to me, he is always a ‘picture’ of protection & security), and with much calmness, he went over to the enemy’s place and returned with a basketful of the very type of those 'canon balls' thrown at us! In short, he actually plundered the enemy with much ease.

This is the interpretation: My father-in-law here is a ‘picture’ of God our Father. He is showing Himself strong and calm. He is showing Himself Sovereign and in full control. And because He is All-knowing, All-present, and All-powerful, He can just enter the enemy’s ground and plunder them for you. God is assuring you today that in whatever challenge you may be facing now, He is still your God. Just 'be still (be at rest), and know that He is God' (Psalm 46:10).

It also really doesn't matter what 'wrong' you may have committed in the past. It doesn't have to 'haunt' you anymore. Surrender these to Jesus at the cross. The truth is God still loves you, and He will never laugh nor mock at you or your past. Yes, He may be saddened by those 'wrongs', but in spite of it all, He still loves you! 

"How do you know, pastor?"

The Bible says so. Let's go all the way back to Genesis chapter 3 now. When Adam & Eve made a big mistake (of listening to the serpent & fell for his 'trick'), God was of course saddened. But He never laughed nor mocked at them. In fact, He still wanted to relate with them (Genesis 3:8-10). They, however hid themselves, ashamed, knowing they've done a wrong. They knew they have also lost their 'glory' as a consequence, realizing their 'nakedness'. But you know what? God did something amazing. For the first time ever since creation, He had to kill an animal (which was actually also His own creation) for its skin just to 'cover' Adam & Eve from their 'nakedness' (Genesis 3:21).

This 'sacrificed' animal (to make 'coat' of skins) is actually a ‘picture’ of Jesus being sacrificed on the cross for you & me. His blood was shed to 'cover' you from the judgment for your sins. The word 'coat' or 'tunic' of skin here is 'kethoneth' in Hebrew, which actually means 'covering'. Such is His great love for you. Such is His Father's heart for you. Today, as a believer, know that you are under His covering. He covers all your past shame & failures. Not only that, He also covers you from harm & danger as well. Be conscious of His covering today.

People of God, just as He covers you, I also can't emphasize further how important & crucial it is for you to ‘cover’ the people under your care, especially in such time when you see much 'chaos' and 'confusion' in the world. Recently, as I was covering for someone in prayer, I heard the words, “Avoid trunk road as you drive”. It was a 'check' in my heart. I didn’t know the details, but I just prayed in the spirit. Now, this can happen when you 'cover' someone in prayer. God may speak something to you in order 'to prevent evil'. So I called the person and asked her to be extra careful (yet not fear), as a precaution as she travels this time. She came back thanking me, knowing that God has indeed protected her!

'Cover' your family in prayer daily. Cover your children in prayer daily. Children need even more ‘layers’ of protection. Cover them by the blood of Jesus, spirit, soul, and body. As a pastor (or a shepherd), I know it’s very important to cover my ‘sheep’ (in my 'field') daily as well. A shepherd does not just ‘feed the Word’, but he also covers in prayer.

As I end my writing today, I pray the whole Psalm 91 for you right now. May you be blessed. Goodness and mercy of the Lord be with you always. Amen!