Friday, April 4, 2014

Walking in God's divine appointment

Ecclesiastes 9:11 (NKJV): ... The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to men of understanding, nor favor to men of skill; but time and chance happen to them all.

The word 'time' here in Hebrew is 'eth', which can mean one's 'now time', one's due season, one's appointed time, or one's due time. The word 'chance' here in Hebrew is 'pega', from the word 'paga', and in the context of this verse, means (His) opportune time for you, (His) intercession/intervening for you, (His) light upon you, (His) causing to happen for you, or (His) divine appointment/meeting for you.

How about the 'swift', the 'strong', the 'wise', the 'understanding', and the 'skill' here in this verse? These speak of the swift, the strong, the wise, the understanding, and the skill in the worldly way, using human strength, self-effort, or own intelligence. Notice the author of this book (Ecclesiastes) had probably seen life enough to make a conclusion that all the above human 'qualities' do not necessarily translate into success, satisfaction, riches or favor in life.

People of God, do you believe God's 'eth' and 'pega' can happen to you too? Will you believe and allow Him to cause His light to come upon you? Will you believe and allow Him to cause good things to happen to you and set up divine appointments for you even this year? Well, as for me, I really do! In fact, I thank God for the many 'eth' and 'pega' that had already happened in my life thus far (how I was saved, how I was healed, how I met my wife, how I answered God's call into full-time ministry, how ministry began, how God intervened in crucial junctures of my life, how God led me from one season to another, and the list goes on). As I look back, I can only stand in amazement and with much thanksgiving for all He has done. I know there'll be more to come, because I believe He is a good God and I trust in His goodness. I believe this for you too, in whichever area of your life. Amen!

There are many great examples of God's divine appointment in the Bible, but one of the most fascinating is found in Genesis chapter 24. Indeed, God plans the best for His beloved!

Genesis 24:1-4 (NKJV) says, 'Now Abraham was old, well advanced in age; and the Lord had blessed Abraham in all things. So Abraham said to the oldest servant of his house, who ruled over all that he had, "Please, put your hand under my thigh, and I will make you swear by the Lord, the God of heaven and earth, that you will not take a wife for my son from the daughters of Canaanites, among whom I dwell; but you shall go to my country and to my family, and take a wife for my son Isaac."'

'Abraham' here is a 'picture' of God the Father, whereas 'Isaac' speaks of you and I today. Just as Abraham wanted the best for his son Isaac, know that your Father in heaven also wants the best for you in your life! Not only that, He can even send His angels (or the right people at the right time) to cause things to happen to you too!

Genesis 24:9-13 (NKJV) then says, 'So the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and swore to him concerning this matter... Then the servant arose and went to Mesopotamia, to the city of Nahor. And he made his camels kneel down outside the city by a well of water at evening time, the time ('eth') when the women go out to draw water. Then the servant said, "O Lord God of my master Abraham, please give me success this day."'

The expression 'give me success' is translated as 'send me good speed' in King James Version (KJV), and 'good speed' here is 'qarah' in Hebrew, which means 'light upon, happen (unto)'. As a matter of fact, the servant was actually asking the Lord for a divine appointment! In other words, he came to that place (i.e. by a well of water) at that time (i.e. evening time) as led by the Lord by faith, and then be positioned for God to do the rest!

Genesis 24:14-15 (NKJV) continues, '"Now, let it be that the young woman to whom I say, 'Please let down your pitcher that I may drink,' and she says, 'Drink, and I will also give your camels a drink' - let her be the one You have appointed for Your servant Isaac." And it happened, before he had finished speaking, that behold, Rebekah came out with her pitcher on her shoulder'.

See the words 'appointed' and 'happened' here? Interestingly, the word 'appointed' here is 'yakach' in Hebrew, which actually means 'the right one, or the correct one'!

Genesis 24:22-27 (NKJV) then says, 'So it was, when the camels had finished drinking, that the man (servant) took a golden nose ring... and two bracelets for her wrists... and said, "Whose daughter are you? Tell me, please, is there room in your father's house for us to lodge?" So she said to him, "I am the daughter of Bethuel, Milcah's son, whom she bore to Nahor." Then the man bowed down his head and worshiped the Lord. And he said, "Blessed be the Lord God of my master Abraham, who has not forsaken His mercy and truth... As for me, the Lord led me to the house of my master's brethren."'

And it turned out that Rebekah was from the family of Nahor, Abraham's brother! (see also Genesis 11:26) Was it a mere coincidence or 'good luck' that this servant found Rebekah (out of so many ladies)? I don't think so. The Bible says it was the Lord who led him to this divine appointment!

Also, when there's a divine appointment set up by the Lord for you, there'll also be confirmation. You see, Rebekah's family could have rejected this servant and said 'no' to him. But look at what Genesis 24:50-51 says: Then Laban (Rebekah's brother) and Bethuel (Rebekah's dad) answered and said, "The thing comes from the Lord; we cannot speak to you either bad or good. Here is Rebekah before you; take her and go, and let her be your master's son's wife, as the Lord has spoken."

And how about Rebekah herself? Did she relish this divine appointment? Was she all for it when the servant wanted to bring her back to his master's son the next day? Genesis 24:58-60 says, 'Then they called Rebekah and said to her, "Will you go with this man?" And she said, "I will go." ... And they (Rebekah's family) blessed Rebekah...'

Wow! Speak about double confirmation!

Let me now end with Genesis 24:67. It says, 'Then Isaac brought her (Rebekah) into his mother Sarah's tent, and he took Rebekah and she became his wife, and he loved her'.

Wow again! A wonderful match made in heaven! This has to be God's doing!

Beloved and friends, this is also your God today. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8), and He can cause wonderful things to happen to you too! It doesn't matter how 'dark' your past may be, because the truth is He loves you so very much (like Abraham loved his son Isaac), and therefore His plan for your life is also going to be good till the very end. Believe, and you'll receive. Amen!